Umvoto is a water resource development and management consultancy and plays a key role in the successful exploration, resource estimation and environmentally sustainable implementation of several turnkey water supply schemes.
We are seeking to recruit a Hydrogeologist (or Geologist with significant hydrogeological experience) based in Cape Town (or willing to relocate to Cape Town).
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The key responsibilities of the Hydrogeologist will be to manage and undertake a range of small and large hydrogeological projects, including all aspects of groundwater and wellfield development.
OUTLINE OF MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Principal Hydrogeologist, the successful candidate will be working with a highly motivated team of professionals delivering quality services on technically challenging projects.
The candidate will be required to:
- Undertake a combination of fieldwork and office work, including data analysis and reporting;
- Manage smaller projects, as well as tasks on bigger projects. Project management skills are an asset, however, the candidate will be given the opportunity to develop project management skills over time;
- Work collaboratively with members of the hydrogeology, geology, hydrology, GIS and environmental groups, team members from other internal business lines, as well as external sub-contractors and consultants;
- Represent Umvoto with professionalism to clients;
- Work on a wide variety of projects, focussing mainly on hydrogeological-environmental projects including: developing and implementing groundwater investigations and assessments; water well design and installation; aquifer testing (test-pumping, slug tests etc.); development of conceptual hydrogeological models; risk assessment and risk management projects; remediation feasibility studies etc.;
- Evaluate and interpret data including geology, hydrogeology, geophysics and groundwater chemistry as part of various projects;
- Contribute to the development of proposals for new work, with respect to internal business lines, and externally to potential and existing clients; and
- Must be able and willing to occasionally travel for work away from the home office (including outside of South Africa).
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Qualification: at least one of the following- a BSc Hons degree in Earth Sciences/Geology/Hydrogeology, MSc in Hydrogeology/Geohydrology and/or Geology (with a focus on hydrogeology)
- Experience: minimum of 5 years including experience in the mining environment
- Experience and skills related to geological/hydrogeological activities including on-site supervision of borehole drilling and test-pumping by contractors (including logging/recording of geological hydrogeological data)
- Experience in collaborating with, and managing small teams
- Experience in data analysis and reporting
- Experience with geological and hydrogeological software (e.g. aquifer parameter analysis software such as AquiferTest Pro)
- Although not required to be a groundwater modeller, basic GIS skills (QGIS or Arc) and a basic understanding behind modelling software such as FeFlow and MODFLOW would be advantageous
- Registered or eligible for registration as Pr.Sci.Nat.
- Competency with MS Office suite of applications is required
- Experience with the National Water Act (especially Section 21 groundwater registration/water use licencing processes) and other relevant legislation is required
- Strong technical, verbal, and written communication skills (English)
- Ability to work independently in both office and field environments and demonstrate strong attention to detail and organisation skills
- Be self-motivated and a team player
- Valid Code B South African Driver’s License or equivalent
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Punctual and reliable
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS:
- 6 months’ probation
- Salary: Market Related
- Group Life
- Disability Cover
Please send CV with cover letter and references to email@example.com by 5pm on 20th January 2020.