Umvoto is a water resource development and management consultancy and plays a key role in the successful exploration, resource estimation and environmentally sustainable implementation of several turnkey water supply schemes.
We are seeking to recruit a Hydrologist based in Cape Town (or willing to relocate to Cape Town).
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The key responsibilities of the Hydrologist will be to coordinate and undertake surface water modelling and associated data management, data analysis, and reporting. The hydrologist will liaise closely with the groundwater modelling team. Also included will be some client liaison, drafting of proposals, and project management.
OUTLINE OF MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Principal Hydrogeologist, the successful candidate will be working with a highly motivated team of professionals delivering quality services on technically challenging projects.
The candidate will be required to:
- Undertake hydrological and hydraulic modelling, mostly office-based but with some field work;
- Work closely with the groundwater numerical modelling team to model complex systems, as well as work collaboratively with members of the internal hydrogeology, geology, GIS and environmental teams, as well as external sub-contractors and consultants;
- Represent Umvoto with professionalism to clients;
- Undertake data analysis and reporting tasks;
- Project management skills are an asset, and it will be expected of you to manage smaller projects, and tasks on bigger projects;
- Contribute to the development of proposals for new work, both internal business lines, and externally to potential and existing clients;
- Held develop internal surface water modelling capabilities among team;
- Registered or eligible for registration as Pr.Sci.Nat; and
- Must be able and willing to occasionally travel for work away from the home office (including outside of South Africa).
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Qualification: at least a BSc Hons degree in an appropriate field
- Professional experience: minimum 5 years
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of watershed hydrology and hydrogeology
- Proven track record in hydrological numerical modelling
- Proven track record in hydraulic numerical modelling, including stormwater modelling, and floodline assessments
- Proficient knowledge and application of statistical methods for processing and analysis of environmental data
- Strong technical, verbal, and written communication skills (English)
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- Experience in numerical surface-groundwater interaction modelling;
- Experience in using GIS software (QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.)
- Experience in the development of conceptual Stormwater Management Plans (SWMP) beneficial.
- Experience in developing water balances preferential
- Experience in surface water impact assessments and associated mitigation and management measures.
- Proficiency in programming (preferably in Python) for large database management and analysis.
- Competency with MS Office suite of applications
- Demonstrated high-quality scientific publication record would be an advantage.
- Valid Code B South African Driver’s License or equivalent Driver’s License
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, prioritize and adapt to rapidly shifting priorities.
- Be self-motivated as well as a team player.
- Punctual and reliable
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS:
- 6 months’ probation
- Salary: Market Related
- Group Life
- Disability Cover
Please send CV with cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 20th January 2020.