Umvoto is a water resource development and management consultancy and plays a key role in the successful exploration, resource estimation and environmentally sustainable implementation of several turnkey water supply schemes.
We are seeking to recruit a Junior Geologist/Hydrogeologist based in Cape Town (or willing to relocate to Cape Town).
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The key responsibilities of the Junior Geologist/Hydrogeologist will be to gather geological/hydrogeological information needed for projects.
OUTLINE OF MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Principal Geologist, the successful candidate will be working with a highly motivated team of professionals delivering quality services on technically challenging projects.
The candidate will be required to:
- Undertake a combination of field work and office work data analysis and reporting;
- Carry out field activities to gather geological/hydrogeological information needed for projects;
- Undertake on site-supervision of borehole drilling and test-pumping by contractors (including the logging/recording of geological/hydrogeological data);
- Provide advice and assistance to the GIS/RS team in the preparation of GIS material required to support geological/hydrogeological studies;
- Develop project management skills over time, supported by Umvoto;
- Work collaboratively with members of the hydrogeology, geology, hydrology, GIS and environmental groups, team members from other internal business lines, as well as external sub-contractors and consultants;
- Represent Umvoto with professionalism to clients;
- Work on a wide variety of (but not limited to) hydrogeological-environmental projects including: developing and implementing groundwater investigations and assessments; water well design and installation; aquifer testing (test-pumping, slug tests etc.); development of conceptual hydrogeological models; risk assessment and risk management projects; remediation feasibility studies etc.
- Evaluate and interpret data including geology, hydrogeology, geophysics and groundwater chemistry as part of various projects (as outlined above);
- Contribute to the development of proposals for new work, with respect to internal business lines, and externally to potential and existing clients; and
- Must be able and willing to occasionally travel for work away from the home office (including outside of South Africa).
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Qualification: at least one of the following- a BSc Hons degree in Earth Sciences/Geology/Hydrogeology, MSc in Hydrogeology/Geohydrology and/or Geology (with a focus on hydrogeology)
- Experience: minimum 1 year
- Experience in data analysis and reporting is advantageous
- Competency with MS Office suite of applications is required
- Experience with the National Water Act (especially Section 21 groundwater registration/water use licencing processes) and other relevant legislation is advantageous
- Strong technical, verbal, and written communication skills (English)
- Ability to work independently in both office and field environments and demonstrate strong attention to detail and organisation skills
- Be self-motivated and a team player
- Valid Code B South African Driver’s License or equivalent.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Punctual and reliable
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS:
- 6 months’ probation
- Salary: Market Related
- Group Life
- Disability Cover
Please send CV with cover letter and references to email@example.com by 5pm on 20th January 2020.